Monday 9 April 2012

Wanted: The Gondola Sofa

To wish, desire, crave, obsess or even covet. When we set our sights on a new piece for our home, our desire can be more or less intense. Sometimes we want to fill a specific void, such as a new rug for the family room or sconces for the master bath. At other times, we might fall for a specific piece without having a clear idea of where it would go, what void it would fill. Whether practical or whimsical, functional or strictly decorative…we always tend to want something.

My current craving is for a gondola sofa. It’s new to my wish list, new in fact to my consciousness. But now I can’t get its curvaceous lines out of my head. Gondola sofas stem from the American mid-century. Here are a few key examples:

La Gondola by Edward Wormley for Dunbar, 1957

Inescapably a period piece, Wormley’s version says "mid-century", loud and proud. I love the spandrel detail on the legs, which is reminiscent of traditional Chinese cabinetry (I’ll have to elaborate on this in a future post). http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=45062
Harvey Probber, c. 1960

Harvey Probber’s version (pictured above in oxblood leather) is masculine and incredibly handsome. The more I look at it, the more I like what I see. http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=389448
Adrian Pearsall, c. 1960


Finally, here is one by Adrian Pearsall, who designed a number of versions during the 50's and 60's. While I wouldn't turn away any of these pieces, this one is my top pick. I love the simplicity of its lines, and it has a timeless quality (it could just as easily be Art Deco as Mid-Century). This piece would be easy to contemporize with fabric and context.

The Palm Springs livingroom of designer Emily Summers


The living room pictured above features Pearsall’s gondola sofa. In this case, the seat cushion is fixed and tufted (and what a difference these upholstery details make to this piece). http://www.architecturaldigest.com/decor/2012-04/emily-summers-palm-springs-home-slideshow#slide=5

5 comments:

  1. Catherine McDougall10 April 2012 at 05:51

    Sophie, my first thought when I saw the Adrian Pearsall sofa was that this is completely YOU. Beautiful and it would be gorgeous in your living room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine Wilson10 April 2012 at 07:16

    Love your blog Sophie. I'm now in love with the Wormley Gondola... what a fabulous example of mid-mod. I'm curious about the sit test, it almost looks like it might be missing lumbar support for all the sexy lounging one would be doing in it. Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrian Pearsall would be my choice - absolute beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an awesome style of sofa but I know it would never work in my home. Very cool and I hope you make a choice soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough... the Adrian Pearsall gondola soda is an exact match to what I have in my living room at home, ours is just in a goldish-yellow fabric. It's not my favorite thing in the whole wide world, but I can appreciate all of the people who come over and gush over it.

    ReplyDelete