Thursday 5 April 2012

Why Jean Desert?

What is in a name, you ask? Galerie Jean Desert was the name of Eileen Gray's Paris shop, located at 217 Rue du Faubourg Saint-HonorĂ© (1922-1930). I'm referencing this name as an homage to Gray, arguably the object of the most profound and enduring design crush I've ever had. I'm also sentimental about beautiful (yet financially flawed) retail endeavours, having been there once myself.

Gray will undoubtedly figure in many of my future posts. The name of this blog is subject to change, however, if I hear anything litigious from her estate...


Eileen Gray, 1878-1976

1 comment:

  1. A few related notes here - Gray conjured up the name Jean Desert to sound like a male dealer, with the reference to the desert providing an exotic touch.

    Pursuing other possibilities before deciding on this name, I realized just how many design-related blogs are out there...with most names I was considering already in use. Here's a funny example, I thought "One Piece" might be a good name for my 'one piece at a time' format...but some young Norwegians already claimed that for their one-piece track suit (who wants to be bothered with waist bands? check them out at onepiece.com)

    ReplyDelete